Licensed Plumbers Numbers
|Total Number of Licensed Plumbers
Plumbing Industry Reference Group (PIRG)
The PIRG is an advisory body providing expert advice to the Plumbers Licensing Board and the Building Commission on a range of plumbing matters, including the impact of plumbing regulations, licensing and compliance and the future direction of Western Australia's plumbing industry. .
The current PIRG membership of 10 (listed below) comprises representatives from small business, plumbing companies, peak bodies and educationalists. It is anticipated that additional members will be invited to provide further expertise in areas specific to the current issues being considered by the PIRG.
The PIRG is supported by both the Building Commission and Plumbers Licensing Board with representatives of both attending each meeting.
Terms of Reference
The Plumbing Industry Reference Group (PIRG) operates with members invited by the Building Commission to act on a voluntary basis to assist by providing the Building Commission (the Commission) and the Plumbers Licensing Board (the Board) with expert comment and current trade advice regarding:
the adequacy of current legislation and regulations within the Board's jurisdiction;
any scheme, arrangement proposal or project in place or being considered that affects, or may affect, the local plumbing industry;
any matter relating to best practice and trends within the plumbing industry that may involve but is not limited to licensing, training, compliance and inspection audits or community awareness; and
any other matter referred to the PIRG as a group or on an individual basis by the Board or Commission.
- The PIRG members will not be involved with:
- prosecutions or breaches of the Water Services Licensing (Plumbers Licensing and Plumbing Standards) Regulations 2000; or
- disciplinary inquiries to be referred to the State Administrative Tribunal.
- The PIRG will also not replace individual or representative groups from providing comment to the board or the board's need to call for public submissions from the industry or consumers on any matter.
Kelly's Hot Water Gas & Air
Golden State Plumbing
REPRESENTATIVES FROM INDUSTRY PEAK BODIES
The Institute of Plumbing Australia Inc.
Master Plumbers and Gasfitters Association
Association of Hydraulic Services Consultants Australia
Department of Education & Training
Independent Education Advisor
Independent Education Advisor
Current issues under consideration:
- reviewing the current regulations;
- adopting the National Construction Code;
- the management of backflow prevention devices in Western Australia;
- the management of as constructed diagrams in Western Australia;
- the effectiveness of the current plumbing compliance program in Western Australia; and
- options for easing the administrative burden on plumbers.
Contacts : Should you wish to comment on any matters the PIRG is considering, please contact the Building Commission on (08) 9476 1354.6 March 2012
PIRG Meeting Communique
17 April 2012
Page last updated on: Tuesday, 31 July 2012