Classes of Licence

The Plumbers Licensing Board issues three classes of licence. In order to carry out plumbing work in Western Australia a person must hold the appropriate licence:

Plumbing Contractor's Licence

Plumbing Contractor's (Drainage Plumbing) Licence

Tradesperson's Licence

Tradesperson's (Drainage Plumbing) Licence

While both licensed plumbing contractors and licensed tradespersons are qualified to carry out plumbing work, only a licensed plumbing contractor is qualified to certify that the work complies with the relevant plumbing standards.  Therefore, licensed tradespersons must work under the general direction and control of a licensed plumbing contractor.

From October 2005 the PLB also introduced a restricted plumbing permit scheme.

Restricted Plumbing Permit

Categories of licensed plumbing contractor

The current types of plumbing contractor's licence available are:

i) water supply, sanitary and drainage;

ii) water supply and sanitary;

iii) water supply and drainage;

iv) water supply;

v) drainage; and

vi) sanitary and drainage plumbing.

Page last updated on: Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Working with the plumbing industry to serve the Western Australian community.